Filby Church

 

 

  All pages on this site can also be translated, just select your language:

 


All Saints Church, Filby, Norfolk, England.

 

Please click on the link above for information about the church.

 

The new Rector, installed in June 2007 is:

The Reverend Graham Steel MA

 

This is where we meet once each year on the first Sunday in July for our 'Family Gathering' when a special Service is held in Filby Church. Every third year we have our 'Reunion', which is a larger gathering when we are joined by many of our 'Filby' friends and relations from around the world. The next 'Triennial Reunion' will be on Sunday 4th July, 2010, when we will be celebrating our 14th reunion.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Church

Filby was an important village in Saxon times and the original church which stood here was one of the earliest in the district. The present building and is dedicated to All Saints. It has been described as “the most beautiful in East Flegg.” John de Wykelwode is the first known Rector: he was presented in 1315 by Robert de Fileby whose family were then lords of the manor.

The Tower

This, together with its West door and window, is a fine example of the Perpendicular style (c.1400-1575). The fact that even a small community could boast such a magnificent church is due partly to the prosperity of the mediaeval wool trade in East Anglia. The unusual figures on the top corners represent the four Latin Doctors of the church. There are five 17th Century bells with chiming apparatus.

Tower Door

Why are there seven locks on the doorway to the belfry? One suggestion is that the tower, with its iron clad door, was used as a strong-room for the village valuables and as a refuge against marauders from the sea and other disturbers of peace. Alternatively, the door might once have been the lid of the parish alms chest?

The Font

The octagonal font in Purbeck marble is from Early English period (c.1200-1275). Despite a modern appearance, it is the oldest item in the church and was probably transferred from the earlier building.

Stained Glass

None is earlier than the Victorian period. The medallions in the North Aisle (left hand side) are an imitation of the 13th century style.

The Pulpit

The ‘wine glass’ pulpit is the original mediaeval one dating from the Perpendicular period: the stem probably used to be 15 inches longer.

Side Chapel

The altar in the South Aisle is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Aumbry was a gift from members of The Filby Association and was dedicated at the unique Filby Homecoming in September, 1968. We traced our descent from Roger de Fileby and others who were lord of the manor in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Rood Screen

The lower part of the screen dates back to c.1450 and is one of the few surviving pre-Reformation painted screens. It is accounted second in quality only to Ranworth and was the work of the same school of Norfolk craftsmen. Although its beauty is faded, it reminds us of the power of colour and symbolism in an illiterate and bookless age.

Why should four of the figures depict Virgin Martyres of the 3rd Century? From left to right, the panels portray:-

1. St. Cecilia (a.d. 230) with wreath of flowers.

2. St. George and the dragon.

3. St. Catherine of Alexandria (a.d. 250) holding a sword and book and standing on a wheel.

4. St. Peter, with keys.

5. St. Paul, with sword and book.

6. St. Margaret of Antioch (a.d. 278) piercing a dragon with her crozier.

7. St. Michael the Archangel, weighing souls.

8. St. Barbara (a.d. 235) with a tower in her hands.


Monuments

The “Lucas Angel” on the south wall of the chancel is a fine work of its kind and was executed by Hermann of Dresden in the 1830’s.

 

Donations to Filby Church

Just some of the many donations made to Filby Church by The Filby Association.

 

1977

 

 

 

A picture of the church altar, showing the altar kneelers and carpet presented to the church by the

Association in 1977. These have recently been refurbished. The inscription below the altar kneeler reads "In memory of Ellsworth Lincoln Filby of Kansas City". Ellsworth was our founder.

2005

These were the two plaques that were attached to the two heaters that the Filby Association donated to the church in 2005 The plaques are worded to show lasting appreciation of all our past members World wide.

2007

Alan Filby, had commissioned an artists drawing of the church, and we were delighted to have a framed copy to present to the church at the 2007 Reunion. It was gratefully received by Martin Moore, the church warden.
 

Also in 2007 was the dedication of two kneelers that were presented to All Saints Church by Ray and Sue Filby of Coventry. The kneelers, bearing the names of Ray’s parents, Stanley Harold Filby and Ida Esther Filby embroidered along one edge, were duly blessed to commemorate their life

 

 

On Sunday 7th October 2007 at the evening Harvest Festival service at St. Mary’s Church, Bexwell, there was a dedication of the candle stands that were made in memory of our late president, Len Filby. Money that was donated in his memory at the funeral was divided between St. Mary’s, who used their 50% to make the candle stands, and All Saints Church, Filby.

2008

A book case with brass plaque was dedicated in memory of our late President, Leonard Filby, our current president, Mary’s husband. 2008

 

 


 

Our 'Filby' Hymn.

 

From all over the world we come,

Happy to meet again.

Thy blessing lord on us we pray

On this, our Filby day.

 

Our grateful thanks for journeys done

For steps in safety trod.

Thy blessing lord on us we pray

On this, our Filby day.

 

The months and years have passed away

In sorrow, joy and hope.

Thy blessing lord on us we pray

On this, our Filby day.

 

Stretch forth Thy hand to absent friends,

In sickness or in need.

Thy blessing lord on us we pray

On this, our Filby day.


 

 This page was last updated on 17th October 2010.   Copyright © The Filby Association - 2010  Email Manager